Thursday 12 January 2017

COP 3: Research Methodology

My research methodology for my essay consisted a lot of looking at two specific examples of where animation has really connected with it's audience emotionally. I looked specifically at the animation studios Studio Ghibli and Walt Disney Animation Studios. Both these companies I found to be very different but still with a great amount of respect for each other in their different techniques and processes. Hayao Miyazaki while admired the technical quality of early Disney animated films, felt what they lacked were realistic characters with a deep emotional connection.

What he felt he could accomplish with his movies was visually making his films as technically advanced with very real characters in surreal worlds. I looked very closely at films by the two studios and separated them both into two case studies. With Disney I looked at the very first of their animated films Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and with Studio Ghibli I looked at their studio as a whole, in particularly how they use the technique 'ma'. 'Ma' basically means moments of quiet where nothing is happening, Studio Ghibli use this technique to create a greater emotional connection with their audiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment