Wednesday 11 January 2017

COP 3: A Fresh Start (Again)

I decided to go back to the drawing board to start over with a fresh idea that could work as it's own piece but also tie in effortlessly with my research proposal. The key criticism of my last proposed idea was that what I was creating was not my own. I was heavily encouraged to use something that already existed and make it my own. I happened to have been listening to American comedian Marc Maron's WTF Podcast, in one episode he interviewed the late actor/comedian Robin Williams.




I felt that a twenty second clip from this interview would be the perfect thing for me to animate. No visuals already existed, it is just audio, therefore this allowed me the freedom to use animation to it's full potential to create anything. Furthermore, due to the comic genius of Robin Williams, he could serve as the perfect subject to animate. He had the incredible ability to riff from one improvised comedic situation to the next in a matter of seconds.





But due to the limitations of this podcast, he is only able to describe his comedy. Through the use of animation, I can add to what his there and aid his descriptions with visuals. Furthermore I can use animation to evoke emotion through exaggeration. The physicality of the man is already incredibly dynamic and over-the-top but there are certain things that are possible through animation that are not in real-life due to the limitations of the laws of physics.

No comments:

Post a Comment