Wednesday 11 January 2017

COP 3: Applying Surrealness to My Animation

So as I'd spoke about previous, Mr Madila uses animation to create visuals that aid Mr Madila's mad descriptions. Well here I want to use animation to aid Robin Williams descriptions when he is riffing to communicate the media better to an audience and evoke more emotion. When originally showing the clip to people in my class, feedback I had received was that they didn't understand what the two comedians were talking about. And while this was of course bound to happen since I was just using a twenty second exert from a full hour long interview, how I could use animation was by filling in the gaps where the audience might not understand what is going on, so try to tell the story visually. This can only be done to a certain extent using these two characters in an environment that obeys the laws of physics. That is why I needed to add in more surreal elements.



For example, in one bit Robin Williams talks of the comedian Freaky Ralph who set himself on fire. Now all that happens here is that he describes this scenario and it's up to the viewer to picture this scenario. But I thought that an effective use of animation would be to actually visualise this. That is why when he says the word 'fire' I animated his head actually setting on fire. Then Maron who asks 'to close?' instantly puts it out with a fire extinguisher. I thought this little bit was a really nice way to use animation to it's full potential and gage a closer attention from  the audience, this description is less likely to be missed now I've visualised it because having seen it visually it is potentially more likely to stick in your brain.


No comments:

Post a Comment