Wednesday 11 January 2017

COP 3: Developing other animated versions of OFOtCN characters

I had been given feedback at this stage in the animation development process that because Nicholson's performance is so iconic with that character, it might be an idea to separate my work from him slightly. Many would say Randle McMurphy is Nicholson's most notable performance. Nicholson embodies that character, and for me, a very big fan of the movie who hasn't read the book, I'm not sure to this day how much of that character we see in the film is Randle McMurphy and how much is Jack Nicholson. I acknowledged that my animation probably couldn't really add too much to what is already there with Nicholson's performance as it is so iconic. Therefore focussing more on the side characters seemed a more sensible route to go.





The side characters in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest are all unique in their own way with their physicality's and personalities. I wanted to animate a scene in which the aspects of each character's personality are prominent. The scene I chose is one in which Randle McMurphy is in group therapy and is trying to persuade Nurse Ratchet to let the patients watch the World Series on TV. 


Ratchet agrees if it is put to a vote. The rest of the scene follows McMurphy trying to convince the other patients to raise their hands. This scene I feel would work very well because each character reacts when McMurphy asks them to vote in a way that is very much in their personality.




The first side character I started drawing to create an animated version of was Charlie Cheswick. When drawing Chewsick, I made sure to watch the scene multiple times and study the character's physicality, in particular his facial expressions.

No comments:

Post a Comment